Friday, October 4, 2013

The world’s most famous teacher blasts school reform

Anti- Common Core educator explains:

Quoting from Rafe Esquith:

"I have a chapter called ‘Keeping it Real.’ If you ask most kids in school who are doing an assignment, why they are doing it, they will say, ‘Because my teacher told me to.’ In my class, if you ask a student, ‘Why are you writing this essay or doing this problem,’ they will say, ‘Because I will learn a skill and my life will be better.’… I tell my students, ‘Of course I want you to do well on the test at the end of the year, but the real test is what you are doing in 10 years.’ My students aren't doing anything for me. Their values are inside. They are doing it for themselves."

Esquith says, "The No. 1 rule of teaching: You have to be the person you want the kids to be. I am always the last one to go home. They see I work hard."

No comments:

Post a Comment