Saturday, March 7, 2015

Christian MLB player gives honest answer about prospect of gay teammates

Christian MLB player gives honest answer about prospect of gay teammates

murphy

If you’re an outspoken Christian in the limelight, the one question the world seems to ask you over and over again always deals with homosexuality.

Whether this is out of curiosity or an attempt to trip someone up is anyone’s guess, though I tend to think a good portion of the time it’s the latter.

New York Mets infielder Daniel Murphy, a very vocal Christian, was recently asked by reporters about his thoughts on gay teammates.

His answer is simple, honest, and brilliant.

From TheBlaze:

In his response, Murphy offered what he feels is Christianity’s “actual stance” on homosexuality. He also said he is definitely ready to have a gay teammate.

“Maybe, as a Christian, that we haven’t been as articulate enough in describing what our actual stance is on homosexuality. We love the people. We disagree the lifestyle. That’s the way I would describe it for me,” Murphy told the Star-Ledger.

He continued: “It’s the same way that there are aspects of my life that I’m trying to surrender to Christ in my own life. There’s a great deal of many things, like my pride. I just think that as a believer trying to articulate it in a way that says just because I disagree with the lifestyle doesn’t mean I’m just never going to speak to Billy Bean every time he walks through the door. That’s not love. That’s not love at all.”

When asked about Bean specifically, Murphy said he disagrees with the homosexual “lifestyle,” but that “doesn’t mean I can’t still invest in him and get to know him.”

“I don’t think the fact that someone is a homosexual should completely shut the door on investing in them in a relational aspect. Getting to know him. That, I would say, you can still accept them but I do disagree with the lifestyle, 100 percent,” he said.

And let the slow clapping commence.

This is a great answer and one I think is pretty biblical.

As a believer, I don’t agree or condone homosexuality, but that hardly means I dislike them as individuals or wish any harm to come to them. They are people made in God’s image too, just like a heterosexual, and they should be treated with love and kindness just like any other person.

It’s nice to see someone like Murphy give such an articulate answer without backing down from what he believes in. Our twisted up culture sure could use a few more good dudes like him being role models for young people.

Keep fighting the good fight, Mr. Murphy!

EDITOR’S NOTE UPDATE: Here comes the thought police. Remember when people told Michael Sam to only talk about football? Me neither.

New York Mets second baseman Daniel Murphy will no longer address his religious beliefs and will stick to baseball, a team spokesman said Wednesday.

On Tuesday, MLB ambassador for inclusion Billy Bean addressed Mets players after general manager Sandy Alderson invited him. Murphy subsequently told media that day that while he would embrace Bean as a teammate, he does not approve of his homosexuality. Bean concealed his sexual orientation during his playing career and later said that he was gay.



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment